Monday, July 21, 2008
Olo Ologo
We received our final site placements today and tomorrow I head to my future home in…Olo Ologo… A small village (approximately 1800 people) in the South West of Mauritania along the Senegal River, it is 37 Km west of Boghe. I found this website to help in the general location of my new site: http://www.fallingrain.com/world/MR/0/Olo_Ologo.html. The village economic activities include farming, herding and small commerce. There is cell phone coverage in the village, although no running water and transportation to Boghe is available everyday although occasional limitations may occur during the rainy season. The community requested a volunteer after working with an NGO and after a PCV spent two months in the village last year working with grandmothers and training them on how to care for young kids, since their mothers are most likely spending most of their time doing housework and thus not looking after the children. I will primarily work with the local Health Post, but there are possibilities of working with the community and a number of small villages in the area that could be explored for work possibilities. Health education, especially relating to malaria, diarrhea, water borne disease, maternal and child health, pre-natal consultations, and nutrition will likely be my main topics. I will know more when I return from visiting the site but for now I am excited about the possibilities since I am the first volunteer to the site and many of my Mauritanian counterparts are friends with the Peace Corps Assistant to the APCD: Health Education!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I could not think of a better sounding village for you to be in! :-)
I'm excited you'll be breaking new ground! I hope your visit goes well! Can't wait to see the pictures!
TAKE CARE! BE SAFE!
-Sean
Yates -- Our son Ryan will be in Sare Ndogou, about 10K from Bogue, in the same region of Olo Ologo. He said he met you and that you graduated from University of Richmond -- our home town! Good luck to you and all the PCVs!
Vicki McAllister
awesome name!! i googled olo ologo, and your blog came up. i always knew you were kind of a big deal.
yay! love having a visual of exactly where you will be on the map! (and average annual cloud cover. also very important)
yates, i miss you lots and stalk your blog daily. you give the best descriptions. did you get my first letter? i hope so. look for more soon!
xoxo
christa
Post a Comment