Friday, July 10, 2009

Homeward Bound

Speculation over the future of RIM PCVs has continued for weeks as the political situation within Mauritanian continued its decline. Within the last 2 weeks, vague threats to Americans began to spread throughout the country like wildfire, followed by the official cancellation of our training class (which was postponed in mid-June) and then the death of an American in the Mauritanian capital, Nouakchott. Although the American was killed because of his “Christianizing activities” in a country with strict rules against teaching any religion besides Islam, his death surprised everyone and caused numerous questions in the minds of other Americans about motivation. Peace Corps and the American Embassy assured us that in spite of the killing and the second kidnapping threat, volunteers were not in danger so we were encouraged to continue as normal but remain extra vigilant.

Eventually I got word that Peace Corps headquarters in Washington in collaboration with PC Mauritania was offering “Interrupted Service” (IS) to all current volunteers. Interrupted Service in essence is a choice: take an early COS (close of service) with full RPCV benefits and the possibility of “re-enrollment” with another PC program or to remain in country as planned for the next year. I received the news while in Olo Ologo giving me a lot of time for much soul searching and thinking before traveling to Boghé and talking to many of my region mates. In the end I decided to follow my heart and thus I will be returning stateside a year early and in time for my birthday!

In total, 20 volunteers chose to accept IS; approximately 1/3 of the volunteers currently in country since the second year volunteers have mostly all completed their service and returned home and no new volunteers will be arriving, yet. Everyone has different reasons for their choice, either to stay or return and I respect each and every one of them and I am thankful for the support I have been receiving throughout this difficult time. Things are changing rapidly and no one will be unaffected, especially those who remain to finish their service.

I had hoped to remain in country for a few weeks to wrap up a few loose ends and participate in Eco-health camp 2009, but my date of departure is currently scheduled for 12 July so the last week has been whirlwind as I traveled to Kaedi for a quick 4th of July celebration, followed by a night in my village to pack and say my goodbyes, a 5 hour trip North to Nouakchott with all my belongings and then several days of government paperwork and medical testing. Since the Mauritanian weekend officially begins at 1 on Thursday, I am finally getting a little time to relax in my air conditioned hotel room, remote control and Ben and Jerry’s ice cream in hand and lots of planning in my head.

My plane is scheduled to arrive in Richmond around 10 am on the morning of July 13 and from there I will commence rescheduling my life.

To all my friends in the RIM (especially my region mates who I am leaving in a slight pickle), Best Wishes for the upcoming year and know that I am thinking of you often and sending you my love, remember I am always a Beep away for medical emergencies. To my family and friends in America, I look forward to seeing you in the immediate future and picking up where we left off…

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm so glad you're coming home and that it's a positive experience! SEE YOU SOON!

Cathy said...

Yates-I'm happy and relieved that you are on your way home! Can't wait to see you!
Cathy D.

JAC said...

YATES,
we miss you desperately, and every time anyone needs anything (a leatherman, a band-aid, a ziploc bag) we say, "oh, where's yates?!" =( BUT we are happy & excited for you. and eating your food. looooooooovelovelove from boghé.

Unknown said...

Yates -- Best of luck to you! I look forward to having lunch with you in Richmond!

Vicki (aka Ryan's Mom)

Sean Hegamyer said...

Ya home yet?