23 months after I began the Peace Corps application process it seems that my time has finely arrived! After weeks of moving friends and myself, cleaning my room and attempting to organize the stuff that I have collected throughout high school, college, a year in Richmond and beyond as well as beginning to say "goodbye" to friends from across the United States I find that I am almost ready to leave. What started as glimmer of a thought during the summer of 2001 has turned into a coherent reality and I find that each day I prepare a little more to live, work and learn in a foreign place that is unrecognizable on a map to many. Therefore, I have put aside my high heeled shoes and my expensive clothes (my pearl earrings will be making the journey to Africa, however) and started redefining what I find most essential in my everyday life.With a international checked baggage weight limit of 80 lbs spread between 2 bags (with a maximum weight allowance for 1 bag of 50 lbs), but the provision that anything I pack I have to be able to carry throughout all my travels has forced me to truly agonize over every item I pack. So what does 2 years worth of items for living, working, traveling, playing, and eating in weather that ranges from 30 to 130+ degrees look like well so far I have chosen the following:
1 mosquito net
1 lightweight sleeping bag
1 fleece blanket/fleece pillow
1 travel alarm clock
1 laptop computer
1 roll duct tape
1 digital camera (2 memory cards)
3 combination locks
1 leatherman
16 “AA” batteries
9 “AAA” batteries
1 stethoscope
90 Q-tips
200 tylenol
3 pair ear plugs
3 pair sunglasses
1 bottle SPF 30 sunscreen
1 bottle shampoo
3 bars of soap
1 microfiber bath towel
3 packets of pancake mix
5 packets instant oatmeal
2 packets instant mashed potatoes
1 packet of pudding
1 jar creamy peanut butter
10 protein bars
Variety of spices
10 packets of kool-aid
2 water bottles
1 kitchen knife
1 measuring cup
1 set measuring spoons
1 can opener
Random sampling of toys for kids and craft projects
10 pens
6 sharpie markers
1 sweatshirt
1 lightweight fleece jacket
1 rainjacket
5 skirts
1 dress
7 tops
10 tank tops
4 pajama sets
2 pair athletic shorts
1 pair capris
2 pair pants
2 full length slips
20 pairs of underwear
10 bras
1 bathing suit
2 pairs of sandals
1 pair athletic shoes
7 bandannas
1 wide brim hat
1 baseball cap
1 pair light blue extrication gloves
1 French-English dictionary
3 books
And the packing and organizing continues for a few more days as I count down so I am sure more will be added to the list…
As I take a moment from the endless packing to breathe and say thanks to everyone for the kind words of encouragement and thoughtful gifts, I am beginning to feel the crunch as my departure rapidly approaches but your thoughts and prayers are greatly appreciated and your interest and continued support will be remembered and treasured.
Thursday, June 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
It's already begun! But I miss you and you haven't even left!
I'd like to take a little credit for the stolen variety of spices and I hope they help you eat well. From an Arizonan to an African, let me suggest a higher SPF, perhaps 80 or so. And I love the fact that you are taking 10 bras with you, because I know I have not owned 10 bras in total in the entirety of my lifetime. See you in C-ville!
Post a Comment